We use Alton Brown's roasted turkey recipe and have used it for nine years. It is the bomb! You end up with a super juicy and flavorful turkey because you soak it in a brine solution overnight. Seriously, it's amazing.
For the kids table I did something similar but also wrote their names on the "plates", added some cute turkey masks that I made and some "corn" which was simply a ziplock baggie filled with Kix cereal and wrapped with green tissue paper and twine to look like corn on the cob. I also placed a bucket of crayons in the center and a dancing turkey.
DIY Felt Turkey Mask:
- brown, yellow and red felt
- mask template (I found mine on google images)
- elastic string
- hot glue and glue gun
1. Using your template, cut out the mask from the brown felt.
2. Cut out beaks (I just drew some triangle shapes on the yellow felt and them cut them out.)
3. Cut out the waddles. (I again, drew it on the felt and cut it out.)
4. Hot glue waddles and beaks to mask.
5. Cut a small slit on either side of the mask and thread the elastic through, finishing it with a knot.