After the epic fail that was the diy solar system, (That atrocity will be hanging in my dining room for the rest of the week because even if it does look like crap I spent way to much time and frustration on it for it to immediately be tossed.) Lilly and I both needed a break. So, I read her the book "Zathura" that I checked out from the library along with many other space books. Then we watched the movie. I will say that the end has lizard aliens and they are pretty scary. Lilly decided not to watch the scene with them but overall I think she enjoyed the film. We found it for free on youtube!
Fizzing Jupiter Experiment
- baking soda
- food coloring (red and yellow)
- medicine dropper/syringe
1. Mix one cup baking soda with 1/4 cup water.
2. Add one drop of red food coloring and mix. It doesn't have to be well mixed just somewhat distributed.
3. Add one drop of yellow food coloring and mix. Your goal is to have swirls/sections of yellow, red and maybe a little orange or white.
4. Form the mixture into a ball.
5. Using your dropper squeeze vinegar onto the ball and watch the reaction. Discuss the reason that it fizzes with your child and how/why the ball represents Jupiter.
We also watched a few videos about Jupiter to help with the correlation.
Jupiter's Super Storm with Bill Nye
Space School Jupiter