You will need:
- gray craft foam (I was able to fit three shark fins on one piece for .88 and I made 12 just to be safe.)
- hot glue and glue gun
- free template (courtesy of itsthelife.typepad.com)
- large safety pins
I found the tutorial for felt shark fins at It's the Life but their design required multiple steps and sewing! I avoid sewing at all costs so I quickly begin brainstorming ways to make it without sewing. I figured craft foam was stiff enough and super cheap so it was worth a go and it worked beautifully! To make the foam shark fin:
Simply cut out the template, dividing the fin from the base and draw an outline onto your craft foam. Once you've made your outlines, cut them out and then glue one fin to the top of one base. Be sure to hold it there until it dries or it will fall over and/or not stand up straight.
You will need:
- about 4 yards cheap, stiff material (I cannot remember what this stuff is called but it is only $4 per yard and has a stiffness to it. I believe it is used for putting under things and at hobby lobby they have it displayed being used to make a pretend cape.)
- about 3 yards iridescent sheer material (This stuff is a bit more at $6 per yard but it is important.)
- 1 30ft. spool of ribbon (I chose a sheer turquoise.)
Admittedly, the mermaid tails take more time and have more steps but, they are sooooo worth it! They look adorable! To make the mermaid tails you will need to:
1. Cut out a mermaid tail shape. I freehanded a tail while looking at a picture and then used that one as my stencil for the others. The material was the perfect length for kids as is so I didn't have to worry about the tail length. But, you might want to measure your kid to be sure.
2. Cut out about a million semi-circles from the sheer material. I used every available inch of my material and just barely had enough. I didn't use a stencil so the "scales" varied in size and shape but, I think that adds to the look and is waaaaay easier.
I hope you find this helpful and that your little monsters enjoy these crafts as much as mine did! Good luck!
Oh, and if you'd like to see the whole mermaid shark party you can check it out here!